Thursday, January 20, 2011

Handy Manny


Here's Solomon 'fixing' his toy telephone (there's nothing wrong with it of course). He'll go to the drawer and get the screwdriver and batteries and fiddle with the back of battery-operated toys. He even asked me to cut a piece of brown sticky tape which he stuck on his toy. I think he get this from Mummy who fixes everything with sticky tape!! :)

Solomon loooves tools, rackets and balls of all sizes, anything with wheels and also guns (love of guns definitely from Daddy)! I wonder why this comes automatically with the Y chromosome? He grew up with more pink girlie toys in the house, considering he has 3 sisters, yet he obviously prefers "boys' toys". Interesting...


This is his toy tool box. He calls it his Handy Manny bag. Two nights ago, when we were at Kenyalang shoppping centre, he spied another set of toy tools hanging in a shop. He wanted it and started crying and screaming, sitting on the floor (luckily wasn't rolling on the floor... maybe cause there was not enough space in the cramped shop!!)! :)

I had been thinking of getting him more tools to add to his collection, but I did not want to reward his screaming, lest it become a habit and we can never go shopping again!! So I will get the toys some other day.

I think it is important that we do not give in to their tantrums. Solomon just turned 2 last year and is now showing all the signs and symptoms of the 'terrible twos'!!

Starting around two weeks ago, he would scream when he cried! Like really loud, until his voice gets hoarse! Eva just got out of this phase last year, when she turned four. Now it's Solomon's turn!! *sigh*

I remember when Annie was around this age, and I still sold ice-cream at my pharmacy shop. There was this one day that she wanted ice-cream and I did not allow her. She cried and screamed and rolled all over the floor for around half an hour! After that, she never demanded for ice-cream from my shop anymore. She realized it was futile. I still sell candy and chocolates at the shop but the kids know that it's not for them. If I do not train them like so, how would I ever be able to bring them to the shop everyday without going mad or having all their teeth fall out!! :)

Anyway, Solomon still screams when he cries nowadays, and I suppose this will go on for another year or two. But he is otherwise a good-natured little boy and is very brave when he goes to school in the mornings cause even though he's okay most mornings, at times I can see he is trying his best not to cry! :)
Related Posts with Thumbnails