Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What's in a name...

Hubby calls me "darling", family and close friends call me by my nick name, "Ah Pau", and the kids of course call me "mummy", and to the cousins I'm "Ah Pau e e".

Thus, I think the smaller ones rarely hear my Christian name being used.

So, the other day, in the car, Eva asked me:


Eva: Mummy, what is your name? Is it pharmacy?

Claire: No, it's pharmacist...

Mummy: No, my name is Priscilla Chuo Poh Poh.

Eva: What?! You are whose po po???!

Hahahaha...

Po po means grandma in Chinese. My Chinese name Poh Poh sounds the same and believe you me, I've had my share of teasing in primary school!! :)

Actually, Poh Poh is meant to be Bao Bao, from the word Bao Bei which means 'precious'. Unfortunately, in the Foochow dialect, it's pronunciation and spelling is Poh Poh! *sigh*

Well, at least it's not as bad as 'Priscilla, gorilla'!! :)

So, the lesson of the story is, think hard before you choose your child's name!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails