Tuesday, March 8, 2011

127 hours

A couple of nights ago, Hubby and I went for a movie at Spring's MBO Cineplex. The kids had a packed day which ended with swimming at the condo, so they all fell asleep pretty early, which meant Hubby and I could catch an earlier show.

There were a few good movies showing at the time. I recognized three of them as Oscar nominees for Best Picture.

And the nominees are.... *drumroll*

Black Swan...

The King's Speech... and

127 Hours.

I read the synopsis for all three movies and Black Swan and 127 Hours sounded inviting. I know The King's Speech won the Oscar for Best Picture, but I cannot imagine how a movie about a British King and his stutter could be interesting!! :)

Hubby would most probably fall asleep anyway....


So I chose 127 Hours. It's a movie based on a book, which in turn is based on a true story of a guy who gets his arm trapped between a boulder and a canyon wall! I remember reading an excerpt of this book in the Reader's Digest I think.

Anyway, after being stranded there for 5 days, or 127 hours, he finally breaks his arm and saws it off with a blunt knife to escape death!!! Gah!!! I won't reveal much as it's a pretty good movie and you should go see it yourself.


Kudos to the actor and directors, cause there's nothing much to the storyline, so it takes good acting and directing to make it work so well!


This reminds me of Tom Hank's movie, Cast Away, where he is stranded on an island alone for years. Remember 'Wilson', his ball/ friend?! :)  Well, the success of movies like these basically just hangs on that one actor's performance! It helps if the actors are cute too... ;)

I guess this movie does deserve the Oscar nomination. It is directed by the same guy who did Slumdog Millionaire by the way.

Next up,  I'm curious to see what the fuss over a stuttering king is all about...
Related Posts with Thumbnails