Friday, November 19, 2010

Sugarbaby


Sugarbaby cakes.

That's the name of my latest endeavour. I'm starting a home-based cake business. I'm just so crazy about cake decorating, it's a wonderful way for me to unleash my pent-up creative energy! There's not much need for creativity in my field of work, in fact, "creative pharmaceutics" would most probably be illegal! :)

Anyway, I figured I'd better make some money while I'm at it, at least enough to finance this hobby of mine, as it can get quite expensive! I estimate to have spent around RM2-3000 on all my equipment, tools, books and ingredients to date. Some of the books and supplies I had to order online, as they are not available in this little town!

I have never been to a proper workshop or demo, nor have I had lessons, so I was never very confident of my skills. Most of what I know, I learned from books and the internet (YouTube and blogs mainly!). However, I feel that I have improved of late and as Nike says, "Just do it!" Another factor which stopped me from taking orders is time. The problem being, I don't have much of it. However, I figured I can always decline orders when I'm too busy right?


So, I had some business cards printed and set up a new blog for the business which featured my products and pricing. That was it! Easy peasy...

Right now my orders are from friends, at discounted prices, so I still don't consider it a full-fledged proper business. When I get orders from strangers, then I'll really be in business! :)

I will definitely be under plenty of stress because I want to meet every client's expectations and even exceed them whenever possible. But that's what makes life interesting no? We will never achieve as much without the occasional push!

So what if I don't get orders at all? I guess it will still be a great past-time and I do still have 4 kids and 12 nephews/ nieces to cater to! :)


Anyway, yesterday the 3 girls had their school year-end parties so I took the opportunity to do some advertising! I baked 90 cupcakes and we packed them in plastic bags and tied my business cards to them. Each one of them brought 30 cupcakes to school for their classmates to bring home and hopefully show their mummies! :) I've found out that mummies love beautiful cakes more than the kids themselves!


The kids had a great time at their school party of course. How often do you get to go to school and not have to do any work at all?

Well, they all came home with party hats (crowns) which they had made and Claire and Eva wore theirs everywhere they went, for the whole day, until we went home that night!


And thus begins the school holidays...



Dear Lord,


Please give all mothers the strength and patience to make it to the new year without resorting to abandoning our kids in the dumpster.


Amen


Related Posts with Thumbnails