Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Petrol prices

There's yet again an increase in the RON97 petrol price here in Malaysia. Basically we have two types of petrol, a RON97 and a RON95. RON95 is subsidized by the government and RON97 isn't. I don't really know the formulation difference between these two types of petrol, but apparently 95 and 97 refers to percentage, so how much difference can 2% make???

The marketing of RON97 claims that it is more superior and long term use will keep your engine in better condition. I think this is all just a bunch of crap. I'll bet this is just so that when they raise the price of RON97 petrol, people can't complain much, as there is still an alternative, the RON95. Before, when there was only one type of petrol, every time the price was raised, there would be an uproar! Now, it's not as bad, so they've been raising the price of petrol very frequently, even though we produce petrol in our backyard!

I don't know why people would bother using RON97 when there's subsidized petrol for you. I doubt there's much difference between the two. And anyways, at the rate I'm banging my car left, right and centre, it wouldn't matter if my engine lasted long, as my car would most likely have fallen apart by then!! :)

All this talk about petrol and how expensive it is nowadays compared to "the good ol' days" remind me of the time when Hubby and I were on motorcycle!! :)


We were 15/ 16  years old then and Hubby had a red motorbike, a Ninja was it? It was something like this, but more beat up. I remember it was extremely loud and I could hear him coming from very far away!! Also, Hubby didn't have a license, but that didn't stop him from bringing me around town with it!! (It helped that his dad was still a high-ranking police officer then, and he would sneakily drop his dad's name when stopped by the police!!) I wonder how I ever convinced my mum to let me on that thing!!!


So anyway, petrol. Well, petrol was much cheaper those days, but we were secondary school students and of course had limited funds! We were always running out of petrol and one of the tricks was to stop the bike and tilt it so the petrol would come out of whatever nooks or crevices in the tank and we'd then still have a bit more to go on!! Hahahaha...

So there was this one day that even after tilting the bike, we were seriously really out of petrol and had to stop at a petrol station. I think Hubby had 20 cents in his pocket and I manages to find 40 cents in my pencil case!! So altogether we had a grand total of 60 cents and proceeded to ask the lady to fill 'er up with 60 cents of petrol!!!

She gave us a 'look', then gave the petrol pump two whole squeezes!! And that was it.

It was embarrassing then, but so stinking hilarious now!!! Hahahahahah! At least we managed to get back to my house without walking!

I guess we should be happy it happened when petrol was still relatively cheap. I think today, maybe 60 cents will only get you 2 drops of petrol!!

*sigh* those were the days....
Related Posts with Thumbnails