Monday, April 12, 2010

Red bananas?


Annie asked me once if there was such a thing as red bananas, because her teacher at school said there was. I don't know if I've read of them or seen them on t.v., but I did think there were such coloured bananas. So I told her so and added that I didn't think we have them here because I've never come across any in real life.

So anyway, I was at the market last week and guess what I spotted? Yup, red bananas! I was a little excited but didn't want to look like a 'dungu' taking photos of bananas at a market!! I also wondered how they taste (I guessed not that great, otherwise they'd be more popular), so I went ahead and bought a bunch for the kids to see and taste. The lady said that red bananas were harder to come by and she assured me that you could eat them as they were, just like the regular ones.

We tried them and they were sweet, though a little slimy. They taste nice but a little different, so we still prefer the regular ones. But at least the kids were adventurous enough to try! I think it would be more suited for steaming or cooking. I predict that's what I'm going to have to do soon, since they're sitting on the kitchen counter collecting dust. I might try cooking them with sago pearls and coconut milk... let's hope that'll interest my fussy little 'slave drivers'! :)

In other news today... Kung Kung Paul has been admitted into the hospital for a drip of intravenous fluids because he became dehydrated after a whole day of bad diarrhoea! It all started with Solomon.

Last week, Solomon came down with a bad case of diarrhoea and vomiting, complete with fever and I presume stomach cramps which he couldn't tell us about. Poor thing, everything he took orally, came back out. He was vomiting through the night and purging until his bum got all red and raw.

It must have been a super stomach virus, because Hubby was having the same thing all the way in Bintulu, minus the fever and vomiting. Luckily Solomon is now better, but he's lost a bit of weight from the ordeal.

So after those two, came cousin Allyson, cousin Marc and also Eva. Eva seemed to have it better, she only had fever and vomited once. Today, Annie is unwell, with fever and diarrhoea. Luckily she doesn't have nausea, so I've been forcing water down her throat every hour.

Based on this current situation, I had no choice but to declare today a 'lau sai' holiday, so all the kids stayed home from school. Annie was still sick and I wasn't sure if Eva was totally okay yet (seems to be now). So that only left Claire, and I decided I might as well sleep in because she definitely wouldn't want to be the only one to go to school! It would be good also to keep an eye on her. We wouldn't want her to have diarrhoea halfway during class now would we? Ya, okay, okay, I really wanted to sleep in also...

Well, I guess kids are more resilient and their bodies can handle attacks better. The very young and the old must be careful. Among all the kids, Solomon had it the worst and it took quite a few days to run it's course. Poor Kung Kung is also getting it bad and now has to stay the night at the hospital. Let's pray for a speedy recovery.

So everyone, remember to wash your hands regularly! Go out now and get yourself a bottle of hand sanitizer! (available at a pharmacy near you)

Hey, doesn't hurt squeeze in some advertising... hehehe...
Related Posts with Thumbnails