Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Macarons


The other day when I brought the kids for a treat at the bakery, "Everybread", I spied macarons! I have only ever seen macarons on the internet and in magazines. They're so gorgeous and look like they must taste absolutely divine! Since I've never tasted one, I just had to buy a packet. They came in packets of 6.

Despite all the hype about macarons, I was thoroughly disappointed with my macarons. They were just way too cloyingly sweet and were more like candy rather than cookies. I had expected the delicate flavour of almonds to come through, but all I tasted was sugar! Moreover, the macarons were filled with jam. I think it would have fared better if filled with a rich buttercream or bitter sweet chocolate ganache.


The cookie was crunchy on the outside and chewy inside. It was very well-formed though I must say, with a nice domed shaped and well-defined foot (the rough bit at the base of the cookie). The colouring was also a little overdone in my opinion.

So do all macarons taste like this or did I just unfortunately try a bad one? I guess I must simply look for more macarons to sample, otherwise make my own someday!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails