Monday, December 13, 2010

Jas & Shan


Last week we celebrated Jas and Shan's wedding. Jasmine was my classmate when we were in form 4 and 5 Science1... right Jas? (my memory ain't that great anymore!)

If I'm not mistaken, when we were in Form 5, in SMB St. Teresa, she, Dianne, Sharifah Azizah, Claudine and I shared a table. We had the physics lab as our classroom then, hence the huge table.

Wow, that was 1994, 17 years ago! Omigosh...

Those were the fun times, fooling around and not paying attention in class! Of all the funny little details I remember; I recall we had a table flag (made from a pen and a piece of string?) and table song! We were very creative indeed, since classes were super, super boring, *trust me* (that, I can definitely remember)!!

We had interesting teachers, one who was almost legally blind with a torturous, monotonous voice, one with tight pants who put his mini test papers in his shirt pocket and more quaint characters, who nevertheless tried their best to put some stuff into our brains! (which, I can imagine was no easy feat)

I also remember Azizah used to have very bad bouts of migraine and we always happily volunteered to bring her to the Red Cresent room. It was a free pass from class! :) It helped that Alice, our classmate had the keys to the room...

I will always remember that Jasmine is super talented when it comes to music. She was my assembly buddy; I said the prayers and she played the piano so beautifully. So we were both backstage together.

Anyhow, our table was at the second last row in the lab, and the girls behind us were even worse! Jou, Geral and Audrey were forever singing away while the teachers were teaching! They had the lyrics to just about any song!

*sigh* those were the days...

(I think I really should get a scanner to add in old  photos eh?? 80/90's hairdo and all... maybe not such a great idea...)


Anyway, fast forward 17 years and here we are, at Jasmine's wedding. It was great to see old schoolmates who came back for the event. Some had not been back for years! Everyone is older (of course) and it's scary to think how fast time passes us by!

The wedding was held at St. Joseph's Cathedral, right next to our alma mater. It was then followed by lunch at Sarawak Club which was just up the hill from church. This was also where 'teenage discos' and New Year's eve dances were held regularly during our high school years, and they were 'cool' events not to be missed! I remember mum was very strict and I left parties at 9pm, when other people just started coming!! :)

Anyway, later that night was the dinner at Hilton. There was plenty of alcohol, form beer to 'tuak'. 'Tuak' is a Sarawakian native rice wine and is some serious liquid! It was a great dinner, with superb entertainment. There were memorable speeches, traditional dance performances and some great singing!

I have never been to a wedding dinner which finished at midnight! And the great thing is that everyone was enjoying themselves so much that they did not even attempt to sneak off before the last dish! In fact, most of us stayed back for the after-dinner dancing and drinks! I suspect the sheer amount of alcohol served that night also had a hand in promoting the high spirits everyone was in! :)


Jasmine and Shan, that was an amazing way to start this new chapter of your lives. We wish you both a beautiful life ahead, blessed with even more loving family and friends.
Related Posts with Thumbnails