Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year's Eve 2011

So what did you do on New Year's Eve?

Last year, we had dinner at SIL's house, and went home to sleep!! I think we did mumble "Happy New Year" to each other at around midnight when the fireworks were popping away! That made us feel kinda old I think!

It used to be (circa 20 years ago!!!!) that New Year's eve was the event to look forward to the whole year! We were 15 then and Youth Night was the excuse to dress your best and get out! It was organized by the church or school I think and was a party held at the boys' school across the road.

I figure it was our equivalent to a prom night! We would attend the Youth Night, then walk up the hill to Sarawak Club for the teenage disco at the main hall. They would release balloons from the ceiling after the countdown and 'Auld Lang Syne' would be sung. That was nice, I wonder why they don't do that anymore...

I remember Youth Night was when Hubby told me he loved me for the first time!!! <3 We were sitting on the bleachers at the school field!! If I'm not mistaken "End of the Road" by Boys to Men was playing! lol!

*Sigh* that was eons ago....

Anyway... New Year's Eve... Well, ever since then, we would have New Year's Eve dinner with Hubby's gang to usher in the new year and also to celebrate their buddy Jerome's birthday which falls on the first day of the year! It became kind of a yearly tradition, until everyone went their own way and got caught up with their own lives.

So this year, we tried to get together for a dinner once again, but most had family commitments and in the end there were only 5 of us. We had a pleasant dinner at Mr Ho's and went to Backstage after that.

It was nice to hang out and see people whom you have not met for ages, but the place  was so crowded I was claustrophobic! People kept coming in and there was barely enough room to stand! In the end the owners had to lock the door to prevent more people from entering!! Patrons were squeezing at the bar to try and buy drinks, waving money at the bartenders' faces!!

Damn! I wish I had a business like that, instead, I have a pharmacy where people ask for discounts on RM5 products and complain that your things are 50 cents more expensive than the shop down the road!!! *Pulls hair*

So anyway, we went to 'open air' for a porridge supper and went home around 3am. It was nice to be out and 'happening' a bit for New Year's Eve. Though I think I've filled my year's quota of second-hand smoke in that one night! (don't sound very happening now do I? lol!)

Wonder what we'll do this year...
Related Posts with Thumbnails