Tuesday, October 11, 2011

One mini adventure! Part I


Wow.. I am still recovering from my mini adventure with SIL...

So, we went to KL for a 6 day workshop. 3 days with Alan Dunn, the master of sugar flowers, or as SIL puts it; the Michael Jackson of the Cake Decorating World! :) Then another 3 days with Lorraine McKay, who does figurines and is renown for her super-detailed facial expressions! (there are teeth even, in her figurines' mouths!!) You definitely have to be a little OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) to be so intricate! She says so herself! :)

It was quite pricey, both workshops combined came up to RM4k plus (we got early bird discounts). But it was an opportunity not to be missed, because this is the first time they are here, from UK. There were averagely 40 people (all women) in the class, and some came all the way from Dubai, New Zealand, Japan...

We met all sorts of students... motherly aunties, super-kiasu ah mas (elbow you out of the way type!), friendly ladies, not-so-friendly ladies... hahaha..

Okay, first, we got there on a Sunday, which was the last day of the wedding cake competition. We were initially supposed to get there in the evening, but SIL and I decided to change our flight to an earlier one just so we could catch the competition!

In the end, with all the changes, our Asia Asia tickets cost as much or maybe more than MAS. Next time we'll just take MAS so we don't have to walk so far in the rain, at times, and risk being charged RM30 per kg!!!! for excess baggage!! (that's another story...)

But it was worth it, as the cakes at the show were just simply amazing!! Okay, but first let's rewind a bit.

When we boarded the plane from Kuching, the first thing this guy next to me asks is, "Are you girls from China?"!! 

Hmm.... is that an insult or a compliment??? I think the former, 'cos (so sorry for the stereotype but it's 80% true here in Kuching) most China girls here are either foot masseurs, VCD sellers or another less appealing profession which happens to also be the oldest profession in the world... (Google it if you don't get me)

Hmm... maybe I should've just socked him in the face! hahaha... though I think we fell into the VCD selling category cos we were carrying knapsacks around like college kids! But then it could be a compliment that we don't like old, washed-out mothers eh?? Whateva...


SIL got the, "Are you from China?" again on one of the days after class when we went to wash our hair at a saloon, carrying knapsacks, umbrellas (it was raining everyday) and empty boxes (ran out of space for our shopping!)!! hahaha.. don't really blame them this time... we also speak funny mandarin I guess! :)


Anyhoo... so when we got to KL, straight from LCCT and off the taxi, we went to Sunway Giza where the competition was held! It was before 2pm, so we couldn't check into the hotel yet, so there we were, two 'China ladies', pulling baggage, carrying knapsacks and with a huge camera each hanging on our necks to boot!

That's Kris...

The cakes at the show were just simply awesome and mind-blowing!! My Thai friend Kris won first prize!! I was so excited for him! I met him when Hubby and I were at the Kinokuniya bookstore in Bangkok. We were both digging through the same cake decorating books and ended up exchanging blog addresses!! He only started dabbling in fondant 9 months ago! He is a graphic artist by profession I think and stopped working just to pursue this passion! I told him about ICCA and the cake competition and now he actually won! Beating some very highly-skilled veterans in the process! He wins an all paid 8-day trip to Squires Kitchen, UK, where he gets to learn from the masters and also visit the annual cake exhibition. He might join the competition there as well! I'm green with envy!! :)

Kris' fabulous creation

The ladies in our class were complaining how the cake competitions keep getting won by men... since they could dedicate so much time to their projects, whereas us moms would get interrupted every 5 minutes!! How true!! :)

Well, after the competition, SIL and I went hunting for our hotel with our luggage in one hand and iPhone GPS in another! We booked Tunes hotel, which was recommended by the people at ICCA, the 'cake school'. They said it was just across the road, but failed to mention that the road was a 6 lane highway!! At least we saved a bit on the hotel stay, as I had booked early and a 6-night stay was only RM300+ (I booked early that's why; the prices fluctuate like their Air Asia tickets). That included 24hrs air-conditioning, which yes, you have to purchase separately! Even hair dryer costs RM1 a day! But we're not complaining 'cos it gave us an excuse go to the saloon for RM30 washes with glorious shoulder massages!! But the rooms were pretty spacious compared to the Tunes LCCT which is essentially a closet!! And most importantly it was clean and amazingly they do have housekeeping come clean the room every morning! :)

Yuen Ting, Li Wen and Phai Leng

Anyway, that night, Cousin Julie brought us out for a yummy dinner at Bangsar Village. And to my surprise, I met 3 of my old uni mates!! We havn't seen each other since we graduated some 11 years ago! It's such a small world, and I have to get out more to see who I can bump into! :) During my previous trip to KL for Song Lih's wedding, I also bumped into another 2 uni mates, who are now married to each other, with 3 kids, just strolling in the same shopping mall; Empire Mall!

Okay so anyway, that was Day 1...

I had better continue this tomorrow.... work piled up while I was away!!

Oh yes.. today is my birthday! Happy Birthday to me!! I'm 34 now! ;) Nothing much planned, as I have to stay at the shop until closing 'cos two of my girls left without notice!!! (that's another story.. an aggravating one...)  but at least I have a good sidekick now, so I'm not complaining.  I just have to stay back and train my new staff for a couple of weeks.


Look at the goodies I got from Hubby and Sis no.3! Not to mention all the wonderful birthday greetings on Facebook and WhatsApp! *happy* 


 Thanks for all the love everyone! :)


Hubby got me 34 roses... I said that there wouldn't be enough space by the time I'm 80 and he said by the time I'm 80; no more flowers!! lol :P

P/S: I also got a scrummy Secret Recipe cheesecake from Sis no.2 and since I was stuck at the shop, the whole Kuching gang came to the shop to sing for me!! *awwww*
Related Posts with Thumbnails