Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Second hand books


Last year, a group of people came to Annie's school to sell second-hand books from the US. I bought her a few books and she seemed to like a series called 'Junie B. Jones' by Barbara Park. Annie barely read books then, so I was exhilarated that she found this book interesting and would actually read the book from cover to cover! I only managed to buy three of these books and then the book fair moved on. I tried looking on eBay, and apparently this series is very popular and common in the US. I tried bidding a couple of times for a complete set, but the price always went too high!

So, after a while I gave up looking for Junie B. Jones books and forgot about them. Annie also stopped reading! Then recently, when her friend Samantha and cousin Amanda came for a sleepover, I noticed both of them reading some books which Amanda had gotten for her birthday. I told Annie to go choose a book to read with them, but she chose to go to sleep instead! (She dislikes going to sleep early, but apparently considered that the lesser evil!!)

Amanda and Samantha continued to read into the night and I had to know what they were reading. It was the 'Geronimo Stilton' series; books about a mouse who is a detective or something like that...

So, I bought Annie a Geronimo Stilton book to try and she really liked it and has read many of them since then. Thank goodness! I think reading is so incredibly important, not only to improve the language, but also for general knowledge. I used to love reading the many books we had at home when I was a kid. We had all the Hans Christian Anderson and Brothers Grimm fairytales, Bible stories, Mother Goose nursery rhymes and I loved a book called 'The Book of Where, Why and How' with lots of interesting and unbelievable facts.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, we heard that the book fair was back, at one of the shopping complexes. As usual, they had good condition, second-hand books from the US, priced from RM3.90 to RM19.90 only! We've been there twice and Annie has managed to add another 13 Junie B. Jones books to her collection. What's more, she has almost finished reading them all!


The smaller ones also chose some books for Mummy to read to them at bedtime.


Plenty and plenty of wonderful books! I had to control myself from buying too many to carry!


There were so many classics, like Dr. Seuss, Disney, The Berenstein Bears, Richard Scarry and this was one of my favourites; Babar!

I truly hope that all of my children will discover the joy of reading!
Related Posts with Thumbnails