Saturday, July 24, 2010

Two moons

When I read this email, I immediately thought of my blogger buddy, Uncle Lee and his two moons!! Arhahaha... (Those of you who follow his very interesting blog will know what I mean!) So this post is specially for you Uncle Lee!! :)


I'm an astronomy buff, so intriguing celestial events excite me. However, Mars is red and I think it's further away than Venus, so I seriously doubt the accuracy of this article, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on the heavens around mid-August, for the possibility of witnessing an extremely rare occurrence. I hope the weather around that time will improve though, because right now it's raining everyday even though it's supposed to be the dry season!


So anyway, here's the email I recieved:

27th Aug the Whole World is waiting for......... ....

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles off earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons.
The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.
  
Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again


If this is true and Mars will be at its closest, I think that it would just look like an extremely bright star, and not as large as a full moon! But, it would be cool if it does look like two moons eh?

So Uncle Lee, on 27th August, everyone will see two moons!!! Hahahaha...



15 mins later: I Googled it and yup, unfortunately, it's fake. You can read about it here: 
http://www.universetoday.com/2007/07/25/will-the-mars-look-as-big-as-the-moon-on-august-27-nope/
Related Posts with Thumbnails