Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Locked out

Did you read my older post about Solomon loving keys? Well, the gist of it is; Solomon loves keys and fitting them into keyholes.

So anyway, we got home a couple of nights ago and Solomon as usual insisted on having the house keys. I was carrying him, and just when I stepped into the elevator, he dropped them. That would have been a small matter, had the keys not drop directly, spot on, into the gap between the elevator floor and the lobby floor!!!!

In desperation, I went down to the basement and peered into the gap to see if the keys were 'fishable'!! (When we were young and locked out, my siblings and I regularly fished out the house keys using our dad's handy fishing rod! That's a whole other post...) Unfortunately, all I could see was a black void!! My house keys were in an abyss; totally and utterly, un'fishable'!!

*sigh*

Clever me has spare house keys in the house, the same house which now cannot be opened. Clever Hubby lost his set (again).

At times like these I wish more than ever that I had Hubby around! It was night and the management office had already closed. So, I called the guard house for help! They were not very helpful and kept repeating that the office had closed and that I could only wait till morning for the elevator maintenance people to rescue my keys! I was getting rather pissed, what with visions of my kids sleeping in the corridor running through my head! (I'm overly dramatic sometimes! My imagination especially.)

Anyway, I kept my cool with them (they being my most likely saviours) and asked them what other options were there. They said that they could call one of the maintenance men who lived close by to see if he would help, but I would have to pay for his service. I of course agreed and asked them to try and contact him ASAP.

So, we went upstairs and camped at the corridor while waiting for the man to come. Luckily our Korean neighbours came out to play bubbles with the kids to keep them occupied. (Coincidentally their mum also locked herself out 2 days before! Apparently she has done it a few times!) I tried picking the lock with a credit card to no avail.

Then the guy came with some tools and started hammering at our doorknob. After quite a bit of noise, he added a screwdriver to his repertoire. He placed the point of the screwdriver at the keyhole and banged on the other end of the screw driver with the hammer. After some time, the door finally opened!!

Alleluia!!!



Solomon is no longer allowed to hold the keys in the elevator.



Related Posts with Thumbnails