Saturday, November 21, 2009

Jaw-ache


I have a jaw ache from eating the Lebkuchen (German Christmas cookies) I made last night. They turned out very pretty, yes, what with the ribbon and all... but they're seriously hard! The taste is great; a warm spicy fusion of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and allspice. Really Christmass-y... makes you want to break out all the old Christmas CDs and put up the Chrismas tree right away!

However, once you bite into one, it's like chewing old leather! I really do not know if its texture is supposed to be like this, because I have never been to Germany to eat Lebkuchen, or otherwise. I did read in one of the comments on the site where I found the recipe that hers always turns out real hard. So since mine is just hard, not real hard, I guess it's supposed to be like that? Hmm... Germans must have very strong teeth and jaw bones.

So the kids have rejected the Lebkuchen and now I have to make kid-friendly gingerbread men cookies for them. I'll be sure to use a sugar cookie or similar recipe so I don't end up stuck with a batch of uneaten rock-hard men... sorry, rock-hard gingerbread men ;)

Oh yes, notice my photography-with-camera-phone skills are improving! Hubby has absconded with the camera and will be going diving tomorrow with it. He managed to find a diving centre there at Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea and is hoping to take some nice underwater macro pics. He has no idea what the terrain, visibility or reef life is like there. Let's hope it's beautiful, so PNG won't be such a painfully boring (did I mention dangerous as well?) place to him.

Okay, signing off here. Anyone want to try a Lebkuchen? I could post it to you where ever you are. It wouldn't even need a box or bubble wrap! Seriously...

Related Posts with Thumbnails