Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cake Decorating?


Last week, I ordered some Wilton Cake Decorating books. I remember when I was small, my mum had some Wilton yearbooks and I loved flipping through the books and looking at those gorgeous cakes. I tried ordering from Amazon, but they couldn't deliver to Malaysia, probably because of Wilton's policy. They have their own distributors here I guessed so I searched on the internet and found a site where I could buy from Klang valley. I bought the 2009 yearbook, a fondant cake decorating book, a book on making fondant flowers and a set of alphabet and numbers cutters (I've always wanted one, don't ask me why). Altogether, I spent RM300 plus; a cake or two had better come out of this extravagant, impulsive purchase!


I've always wanted to try decorating a cake, but the furthest I've ever gotten is writing a big '2' using a tube of Choki chocolate-spread thing (just cut a corner off the plastic tube and you have a piping bag!) and filling it in with sprinkles. Then I stuck some gummy sweets to the side. It was Claire's 2nd birthday. I was really in love with Secret Recipe's white chocolate macadamia nut cake, but they had just opened then and didn't have cake decorating services yet. But I just had to have that cake, so I figured I'ld decorate it myself.

(How do I stop Picasa from automatically rotating my pics anyone?)

Anyways, the Wilton book cakes are just amazing! They don't look like cakes even sometimes, especially the fondant/gumpaste/sugar paste ones. Fondant is so versatile, there are so many things you could create with it... all the possibilities... So now I'm having day dreams of decorating my own children's birthday cakes using fondant. Theoretically this will save me a lot of money. 4 kids, 2 cakes each (1 for school and 1 for home) equals to 8 cakes a year. Some cakes, like Annie's favourite Barbie doll ones can cost up to RM100 each! (Moreover it's not a real Barbie doll they stick in the cake okay, it's some China generic aptly called Maria or something like that!) So, provided there are no major disasters, I should be able to save money and spend that money on more books and tools!


It should be easy, like playing play-doh right?? (Hehe.. famous last words) So I guess this is going to be my new hobby. Cake decorating. When am I going to actually make a cake? I don't know yet. I'm still in the research (read procrastinating) stage now. We have an open water dive (scuba diving in open sea... no more swimming pool... *scary*) this Sunday, so one hobby at a time. I'll give myself until Annie's birthday (20th May) to make my very first fondant cake. There are many bakeries near my shop, so if my cake ends up looking like something the cat dragged in, I can always buy an emergency back-up cake!
Related Posts with Thumbnails