Friday, May 24, 2013

kindy reunion!!



I forgot to blog about my mini kindy reunion! Yup, kindy as in kindergarten!

So there were 14 of us who went from kindergarten all the way up to Grade 6 together in Lodge school. We were all born in 1977 and were the last English medium class. We still used the British curriculum then, and the classes after us were all switched to KBSM, the national curriculum. So after Grade 6, most of us had no where to go, as there were no secondary classes for us at Lodge and other schools were using the national curriculum. Everyone had to go overseas, to places like Singapore and Australia.

I think I was the only one who stayed behind. If I went straight to a national school, I would have had to waste a year in transition class. So, Dad figured out a way for me to escape transition class by going to Sunny Hill School for 2 months, then moving to St Teresa's. Sunny Hill is a private school using the national curriculum, so as long as I could cope with classes, I didn't have attend transition class. (FYI: I was top in class there!)

Then moving from Sunny Hill to St. Teresa's was not a problem, as both used the national curriculum. All my sisters have been to St. Teresa's, so it was natural progression. I remember the first day I got there, the maths teacher apologized for they were having a test that day and told me to just try my best. I scored 100% for that test because it was so easy! They were just learning about negative numbers whereas we were already being introduced to algebra in Lodge by our wonderful maths teacher Mr Lee! So maths wasn't a problem, but BM (Bahasa Malaysia) was a bit of a struggle. We only had one BM subject in Lodge, but in the national curriculum, it was the opposite. There was only one English subject, but everything else was taught in BM. I especially detested Sejarah! (history)

Well anyway, back to the reunion... So out of the 14 of us, 4 of us are currently residing here in Kuching. When another two, namely David and Diana, were in town, Alan decided to take the opportunity to organize a mini reunion. After 24 years, half the class was quite a good turn out I must say!

We met at Alan's place for lunch and the kids had a swim after. It was great to catch up with old friends, and also amusing to see their respective 'mini-me's! Lol!


Most of us were in this kindy class, circa 1982?!
Related Posts with Thumbnails