Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mystery book


Over the holidays, I brought the kids to try out some musical instruments at the music school which cousin Amanda goes to for guitar lessons. They seemed to enjoy the classical instruments and took a liking to the teachers. So, I decided to let them stop their Yamaha Electone classes, as I was not extremely impressed with their progress there anyway, and the timing of their classes was a bit of a headache for me; the driver.


Anyways, all three girls, Annie, Claire and Eva chose to take piano lessons and Annie a second instrument, the cello. Solomon was over the moon when the teacher brought him upstairs to try his hand on the drums! So it was no surprise when he chose the drums and wanted the ukelele too, but I figured one at a time. So he's taking drum lessons for now and Kung Kung Paul even bought him a real proper drum set! Albeit a smaller version for kids...

So the other day, Solomon was looking for his theory book and asked me, "Where is my mystery book?"

Of course I laughed, then corrected him.... Then after a while he was calling it his "history book" instead! lol!

I was always reluctant to send them for piano classes, because piano classes were extremely traumatic for me when I was a kid. Even until this day, I can feel the dread in me, when I hear people practicing the scales! No, I am not exaggerating! I was never very good at the practical aspect of piano, i.e: the actual playing of the piano!! I was excellent when it came to theory, but I was crap when it came to reading notes! Sight reading was a nightmare!! I can play by ear, by memorizing the fingering, so classical piano was not for me. It didn't help that our teacher would scold and put a sharp pencil under your wrist so you would lift them up!

This is why I sent the kids to Yamaha initially, because the Electone, a type of organ, is easier and more fun. When I brought them to the new music school, I thought they would pick up a string instrument. However, since they have expressed interest in the classical piano, so be it. It has to be their own choice. (i.e; when they complain I can say you chose it not me!!! lol!)

Well, so far they seem to enjoy their classes! Let's hope it stays that way! It's always lovely to have music in your life.


Related Posts with Thumbnails