Friday, May 11, 2012

Riddles

Eva is now 5 years old. She's at the age when they're really curious and ask a lot of questions. It's really funny how they process the information you give them. You explain one thing to them and they might just interpret it into a totally different thing! Once in a while they will give you a glimpse into their minds and it's hilarious how their 5 year old brain has stored the information.

Sometimes they will ask seemingly cryptic questions and it takes a while to click... it's like a riddle and you have to put yourself into a 5 year old's shoes to figure it out!


Here's how one went;

Eva:          Who is the richest man in town again?

Mummy:  Huh? Richest man in town?? Err..... Taib Mahmud??

Eva:          No... The one who makes windows and computers!!


.......

*crickets chirping....*

.......


Mummy:  Ah.... Bill Gates?!

Eva:         Yes! That one!





Hahaha...

Yes, I mentioned Bill Gates to them before. You see, Claire was saying how her classmate and her siblings each have their own iPad! So I remembered something I read about situations like these. They didn't ask to buy an iPad each, but I thought it was a good opportunity to try out what I had read.

The gist of it is like this, when a child asks to buy something, saying you cannot afford it sends out the wrong message. Something about putting too much import on money and something about guilt? I forgot. Anyway, the alternative they suggested was what I liked. They said to instead tell  them that we can indeed afford it, but is it worth buying?

So that's what I did and in an attempt to convey to them that money isn't everything, I went on to tell them about Bill Gates who donated more than 90% of his wealth to charity. They asked how he became so rich and I told them about Microsoft and Windows and apparently I wasn't clear enough! lol!

'Town', 'country' and 'the world' is another concept that needs more attention!!
Related Posts with Thumbnails