Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Project headband

Some friends of mine are going crazy over Sereni & Shentel headbands. You can look at their gorgeous creations here. Sereni Linggi and Shentel Lee are from my hometown, Kuching, and they really make us proud! They sell these incredible hand-made headbands online and are making their mark in the fashion industry in Malaysia and Australia.

Taken from the Sereni & Shentel Look Book 2010
It helps that these two girls are as gorgeous as their creations and really rock their headbands. They have an edgy confidence which could make anything they wear look good! Now imagine me wearing these bunny ears headbands, I'd just look like a mental asylum escapee!! Hahahahaa.... seriously....



By the way, these are the more avant-garde designs, they do have more safe, traditional designs for the not-so-adventurous like me! :)

Anyway, recently I got a really devastatingly lousy haircut. My usual hairdresser, Ah Chap at Hairdo was not in, and I was already determined to cut my hair that day. So, I went over to Show Salon, near my shop, thinking he could be good, never know till you try... Wrong move. I have learned now, never ever to take chances with your precious hair!!!

So anyway, he made my hair like all puffy on top in a so not nice way. The only way I can make my hair look decent now is to wear a headband while I wait for my hair to grow out. That's why I went to look at the Sereni & Shentel headbands I've heard so much about.

Well, their headbands are definitely beautiful, that's for sure, but they are a bit pricey. Prices start from US$17. I guess it's all about priorities; I'm not one to spend too much on fashion, but will, in the blink of an eye spend plenty on children's books or cake decorating tools and such. ( I must learn to be more fashion conscious, now that I am no longer "constantly pregnant") Also, the crafty side of me would look at the headbands and think, "I can make these myself, if I had the materials!"

So, I ended up searching for materials to make my own headband in the end. I found some old, skanky headbands which were selling for 50 cents at 100% Discount Store, a shop selling cheap, China stuff. I already have a collection of satin ribbons (I just love their colours), and from a previous project, I found out that double-sided tape works well with satin ribbons.


So that is all you need for a simple headband; an old headband, ribbon, double-sided tape and a pair of scissors.


Using double-sided tape, stick short lengths of ribbon on both ends of the headband like so, then fold the edges in and secure using more tape.


Place tape all along the headband and wind ribbon round the whole length.


Then, make two loops of ribbon, one longer than the other, and attach with more tape.



Attach the loops to the headband with a short length of ribbon and tape.


And there you have it, a simple and sweet, olive green bow headband. I'm gonna source for some bling to dress them up! :)

 Eva has claimed this as hers... :)
Related Posts with Thumbnails