Monday, June 1, 2009

An evening with the stars


Annie performed in her school annual concert on Saturday night. It was entitled 'An Evening With the Stars'. It was a superb effort by all the students and teachers who guided them. There were rock bands, classical guitar and piano solos, modern and traditional dances, singing and a string orchestra.

There was also a very interesting orchestra made up of all sorts of instruments; traditional, modern, eastern and western. It's good to see that the children are also proud of their cultural heritage. They were playing instruments like the erhu and sape alongside keyboards and electric guitars!


I was very impressed with one particular boy who was around 12yrs old. He played the classical guitar solo and was simply amazing. He must come from a talented family, since his little brother who was 9yrs old also performed solo, strumming the guitar and singing the 'Shala Lalala' song. He was so cute, wearing a glittering gold shirt, and fearless, or at least very good at hiding his nervousness; a true performer. We are reminded of the limitless heights children can achieve, when provided with the right training, coupled with support and motivation.



Anyway, Annie was involved in a cultural dance item. She was dressed as an Orang Ulu, one of Sarawak's native tribes. She has been involed in rehearsals for months prior to this event. They all performed splendidly and I'm sure they felt very proud of themselves. I always make an effort to attend the children's performances and sport's days. I know it means a lot to them when we do and it boosts their confidence and pride. Daddy was away travelling, so I brought 3 of her cousins along to watch the show and show their support! I couldn't bring her sisters, because the show was too long and I was sure they would be cranky by, maybe, item no.2!


I'm glad we sent Annie to Lodge International School. I like their balance of academic and extra-curricular activities. It's amazing that my daughter is now studying at my old school, in the same hexagon-shaped classrooms where I used to sit in! I loved going to school then, and that is what I want for my children. Learning should be fun.

Most of the teachers during my time have already left. I still remember the day a new office boy, Stib started work, and he's still there now! The other day I aked him,"How come you have white hair already!" Haha.. he was still a young boy in my mind.

He replied "I'm old already ma, and so are you!" Talk about rude awakening! :)

Yes, it doesn't seem so long ago that I used to run in that same field and pick weed flowers and play stones with my best girlfriends (there were only 4 girls in our class). We used to learn silly songs in Brownies, like 'Ging gang gooli', while the boys playing football outside would make fun of us! Those were the days.

Well, now I'm a mother of four! Sometimes I still feel like a kid myself, and I think that's okay. It's good even, not to loose touch of the child within us. It's like keeping an old window open to let in some sunshine, don't you think?

Well, I hope to provide all my children with the same safe, privileged, happy childhood that I was fortunate enough to have had, thanks to mum and dad.


Here's Mary Kate, a Filipina girl who stays at our condo. She was rooting for her sister who was performing the Spanish dance! I found that so sweet.
Related Posts with Thumbnails