Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Want to do some charity?

I remember reading about Jet Li's charitable organisation, One Foundation. His life changed after a near death experience during the devastating 2004 tsunami. He was holidaying in the Maldives with his family when the tsunami came and swept him, his 2 daughters (1 and 4yrs old) and his nanny away. Luckily they survived the ordeal (his wife was safe in the hotel room).

Anyway, that experience made him re-evaluate his life and he vowed to devote more of his time to help the less fortunate. He found out that, in China especially, a lot people were doing well financially and would love to give back to society. However, they do not know how and where, and trust is always an issue. You need to know that the money you are giving actually reaches the people you want to help. There are plenty of cases of crooked organisations, where money is channeled into the wrong pockets.

So, he came up with the One Foundation, where people pledge just one yuan a month. If everyone did that, it would add up to billions! He advocates transparency, so they hire external auditors Deloitte, and they post annual reports on the web.

Well, now I'm inspired to do more on my part. My dad is involved in quite a few social welfare and church projects. Currently, they are trying to raise funds to build a Catholic church in Betong, a rural area in Sarawak. They are selling raffle tickets at RM30 for a book of 10pcs and generous sponsors have donated many amazing prizes.

The first prize is: 1 unit 1 1/2 storey intermediate house at Block 25, Muara Tuang Land District, Kuching.

Three 2nd prizes: 1 unit Honda Motorcycle each

Five 3rd prizes: 1 unit Samsung 42" Plasma TV each

Ten 4th prizes: 1 unit Samsung Washing Machine each

Twenty five 5th prizes: 1 unit Sharp Microwave Oven each

Fifty 6th prizes: 1 unit Sony DVD Player each

One hundred 7th prizes: 1 unit Pensonic 12" Table Fan each

Sure beats the usual hampers and toasters and such...

TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. Must produce original coupons to claim prizes.
2. To claim within one month.

3. cannot be exchanged/redeemed for cash.

4. to be claimed at Our Lady Queen of Peace, Sri Aman. Tel: 083-320528
5. Draw Date: 30th September 2009


I'll post the results here as well...

So, if you haven't already guessed... I'm asking you guys to buy tickets. They'll be available at my shop, Pal Pharmacy, at RH Plaza, BDC, tel.:082-460299.

Or, I figured how you can buy without coming to my shop. Bank in money at any Public Bank cash deposit machine (acc. no. 3125166026, Pal Pharmacy), then fax me the bank-in slip that comes out, along with your name and phone number and email add. I'll tell you your ticket numbers and of course inform you if you win! So, you'll have to trust me a bit :) Promise I won't steal your house or plasma tv!

My fax number is the same as my phone number: 082-460299

You are most welcome to help me sell tickets as well. Initially, I was just approaching friends and regular customers/friends at my shop. Then last night, the chairman of this project passed away quite suddenly after a stroke. He also happens to be my husband's relative. So I thought they'll be needing even more help now. I am also always thinking of doing more charity work next time, when I have more spare time, more money, when they kids are older, etc... The usual excuses. Why not now? Procrastinating is not in anymore! Proactive is the word! Go, go go! (I hope to maintain this 'drive' for as long as possible!)

So, all of you, please contribute! Now, now, now! Don't wait... the good intentions usually get buried under work and stress after a while! Then you'll have to wait for the next wave of inspiration!

Good luck! Remember, if you don't win, you would still have done some good! Even if you are not a christian, you would have benefited someone less fortunate than you. Extra merit points in heaven! haha..
Related Posts with Thumbnails