Thursday, March 7, 2013

Another chapter closes

So it's official! I'll be closing my pharmacy shop in two months time!

It's kinda sad, because I've had this shop for ten years! The kids practically grew up there! It was like a second home then. (My car has taken over that title now!)

On the other hand, it is also liberating, to be finally free of such a huge responsibility.

The pharmacy is making money, not much, but not operating at a loss. I could make more if I worked for someone else, but then I would be tied down. With my pharmacy it is practically like I am not working, because I'm almost never at the shop!

It bugged me that I could not give the shop the attention it needed to flourish, because I believe if you want to do something, you'd better do it right, else don't do it at all!

I've been thinking of closing for a while now. When I chopped the shop into half, it was a compromise between closing and trudging on!

I thought since it didn't take up so much of my time, might as well let it run. I could provide work for my staff and order medicines for family and friends. I do love helping people with medical advice and having the chance to do some charity when the opportunity arises...

But one thing I especially detest is dealing with staff who have poor attitudes. I have had many good people working for me, and many of the kind who make you want to pull out your hair as well!

Also the whole pharmacy profession in this country is &$@*^% up. In Malaysia, unlike every other profession, pharmacists do not have an exclusive role. Thus we have to break the law every day by selling group B drugs without prescription just to survive. Just doing my job makes me feel like a criminal every day! That does not sit well with me. I'm not the law breaking kind of person! Yet what choice do I have?

Then we have the enforcement officers to contend with. Their surprise checks make us feel like drug pushers being put under scrutiny.

Also, drug prices are not regulated and small players are discriminated and bullied with higher cost prices for the same drug. I know all this unfairness is just part of the dog eat dog business world. I suppose I'm not cut out for it then. I prefer a world of rainbows and butterflies! Something like Care-A-Lot, where the Carebears live! Lol!

And to add insult to injury, now a big shot is interested in the retail pharmacy industry!! The economy in Malaysia, as we know, is monopolized by well connected big shots. This particular big shot is now using his Cosway business to invade the retail sector of the pharmacy industry. With their money and political clout, what chance do we small fish have?! Rules are being conveniently changed to their advantage and laws which only tighten the noose around our necks are being proposed.

Well anyway, all these frustrating issues aside, the main reason I chose to finally close the shop was to spend more quality, un-rushed time with the kids. That's all, in the end.
Related Posts with Thumbnails