Monday, June 21, 2010

Sipadan Part 3 - Eating our way home

*Sigh*

Sis nos.2 and 4 plus kids have returned to Singapore and the school holidays are officially over :(  I shall finally get down to writing my much-delayed Sipadan Part 3 post before I forget what happened!!

Wow, I think I will be so grateful for my blog when I'm old and demented! Actually, no need to wait for when I'm old and demented, even now, when I read entries which date back only a year, there are so many details which I have already forgotten!! 

Anyhoo... there's nothing much to this last post on the Sipadan trip; just food, food and more glorious food!!

*Yum~~* ... I think my memory is coming back...


On our way home, we stopped over at Tawau for a night. So naturally, we went seafood-hunting for dinner and were recommended Kam Ling Seafood Restaurant which was located at Sabindo Food Centre, by the sea.

We took a short stroll to the place which was not far from our hotel. Spying tanks of live seafood pushed Hubby's adrenalin levels up a notch! He has high standards when it comes to the freshness of seafood and this place definitely got his seal of approval. You can't get any fresher than 'live'!!

Hubby and I trying to look dignified in the middle of pigging out!


Man... the food was superb... magnificent... amazing! The mantis prawns and crab were just okay, but the fish was really fresh and the boiled prawns and lobster noodles were simply awesome! I'm wondering if there are any chemical compounds found in shellfish which can give you a high, because we were little 'floaty' after the binging!! Maybe that's what cholesterol clogging up your arteries feels like!! Hahaha.. 

On top of the excellent food, the prices were reasonable and the service was prompt and efficient. Yes, amazingly, Hubby (whose hobby is terrorizing waiters), was actually satisfied, no, happy with the service and the quality of the food!

Seafood Junkie is content...


There was also a fruit market down the road from where we ate. Fruit is the other thing Hubby loves! I unfortunately am not really a fruit person. I just don't get it; fish... and fruit...  

*shakes head* ... nope, doesn't do it for me.

Now chocolates... and cakes... pastries... and gelato... yes... *nodding* ... that's more like what my sweet dreams are made of!

Okay, let's get back on track. So that was the end to another wonderful day. The next morning we took an early flight to Kota Kinabalu. Our connecting flight back to Kuching was in the evening, so again, we found ourselves with plenty of time to kill.

This time, we got the taxi driver to bring us to Penampang, where there is a coffee shop called Wan Wan which is famous for its fish noodles. hehehe.. greedy little buggers aren't we? Well, what can I say? We have always considered food one of the great pleasures in life. So, food is therefore parallel to travel/holiday, another of life's pleasures.


Anyway, it was a corner shop lot with tables both inside and out and patrons were waiting for people to leave so they could be seated! It was packed and customers were sharing tables with strangers, so I figured the food must definitely rock!

The house specialty was noodles made with fish meat. It was pretty nice, though I found it a bit too rubbery (think fishcakes). I think it would've been much nicer if the noodles were made to be thinner and cut finer. However, the fish head soup that came with it was seriously good. I'm not a soup person, but this was good soup; the fish was fresh and the soup was tasty!


It was interesting to see the overwhelming number of customers and how they handled operations. There were so many workers, I think a staff of about 20-30, for just one coffee shop! The 'tauke' (boss) had to use a megaphone to call for bills from across the room! There were workers whose only job was to direct traffic, some to seat guests, others just to replenish utensils on tables!

Yes, I do think it is worth the queue!

So anyway, after that we went once again to Central Point to kill time and do some souvenir shopping. We managed to get some knick knacks and T-shirts and gifts for the kids to assuage the guilt which comes with abandoning them at home! :)

Before you knew it, it was time for lunch!! muahaha...


Delicious oily Indian food! This was just a stall at the shopping complex. The food was yummy, but I'm biased, as I love Indian food. I think it came from living with my cousins of Chinese and Indian descent when I was studying in KL. My uncle is an excellent cook! His curries would leave my stomach burning for most of the night! :)

Well, after that, we headed for the airport and left for Kuching. About time too, because I was starting to miss the kids. Hubby had been missing them for quite a while by then, because he had been travelling endlessly for the past two months! When we got home, it was a Saturday and he left again two days later for work in Bintulu!

So, that was the end of our 2010 honeymoon! Can't wait till next year's!
Related Posts with Thumbnails